Friday, December 14, 2012

Galway Girl

I've been a bit behind because of finals and general insane stress, but a couple of weeks ago, I went to Ireland!

IMG_8599

We stayed in a little hostel in Dublin that was a converted Catholic school, including a chapel that served as a dining hall with a stained glass window about backpacking! That wasn't the only church we saw that weekend - we visited the Christ Church cathedral, the oldest (and surely one of the most beautiful) in Dublin -

IMG_8637

IMG_8649

Which was attached to the Dublinia Museum, a hilarious interactive children's museum about the Viking invasions in Dublin.



(Learning?)

We also got to see the Book of Kells and Trinity College, although the incessant rain made the outdoor tour less fun that it could have been.

The St. James' Gate Brewery, where they used to make Guinness, was a definite highlight. It was one of the most comprehensive museums I've been to (hilariously) and it had the best views of the city! Tragically, it was night time, and I couldn't get a good shot. But here I am toasting to good health.



We also loved our day tour to the Irish countryside, where we got to see the Wicklow Mountains and the Irish sea.

IMG_8733

 

IMG_8801

 



And we had the most amazing food! Thanksgiving dinner with our Gerard Butler lookalike waiter, delicious burgers at Bobo's, and the most incredible quiche and dessert at Queen of Tarts.

IMG_8684

 

The pubs were so much fun I couldn't stand it. We got to see the pub from PS I Love You, which was super fun, but our favorite was the Old Storehouse, where bands played away into the night with fiddles and acoustic guitars. They even played one of my favorite songs, Wagon Wheel, and let Lexie and I sing a chorus. It was pretty magical.

 

Dublin was such a welcome taste of home for me. Everywhere I looked, something was reminding me of Boston. It was the first city we visited that had a little taste of Christmas happening, and we couldn't be happier to celebrate with everyone. I certainly can't wait to go back.

P.S.: Due to the craziness that is Ryan Air and their 7 hour nonsense layovers, this was also the trip that brought me to 4 countries in one day: Ireland, Italy, Germany, and the Netherlands. Our afternoon in Italy was filled with the most beautiful handcrafted ornaments, delicious gelato, syrupy cappuccinos, and breathtaking architecture. That being said, I will not miss Ryan Air one bit.


No comments :

Post a Comment